11 Classification of IC Engines-Every Mechanical Engineer must know:IC Engines stands for Internal Combustion Engines which can have Higher Overall Efficiency,Low Weight to Power Ratio,Requires less space and has Greater Mechanical Simplicity.IC Engines are classified in various ways depending on their functional characteristics.In this Article,11 Classification of IC Engines were discussed and are as follows.
11 Classification of IC Engines:
The classification of IC Engines are as follows.
- Number of Strokes
- Type of Ignition
- Basic Engine Design
- Working Cycle
- Fuel used
- Method of Fuel Supply
- Method of Cooling
- Cylinder Arrangement
- Engine Speed
- Method of Charging
Detailed classification of IC Engines:
The Detailed classification of IC Engines was presented below.
1.Number of Strokes:
- Four Stroke Engines
- Two Stroke Engines
2.Based On Type of Ignition
- Spark Ignition Engines
Spark Is Generated through an External Source
b.Compression Ignition Engines
Air Is Heated to a Sufficiently High Temperature Because of High Compression Ratio
3.Basic Engine Design:
- Reciprocating Engines
- Rotary Engines (Wankel Engine)
- Engines working on OTTO Cycle (SI Engines)
- Engines working on DIESEL Cycle (CI Engines)
5.Fuel used :
- Gasoline or Petrol Engines
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Engines
- Diesel Engines
- Carbureted type- Fuel supplied through Carburetor
- Injection type- Fuel supplied through injector
Fuel injected into the cylinder just before Ignition.
7.Method of Cooling
- Cooling Is Essential for the Satisfactory and Healthy Working Of the Engine (Otherwise Results In Engine Seizing)
Two Types of Engine Cooling In Practice
- Air-cooled Engine
- Water Cooled Engine
8.Type Of Cylinder Arrangements
- V- Engine
- Opposed Cylinder Engine
- Opposed Piston Engine
- Radial Engine
- X-type Engine
- H-type Engine
9.Classification Based On Engine Speed
- Low Speed – up to 500 rpm
- Medium Speed – 500 to 1000 rpm
- High Speed – above 1000 rpm
10.Classification Based On Method of Charging
a.Naturally Aspirated Engines
Admission of Fuel-air Mixture at Near Atmospheric Pressure
Admission of Fuel- Air Mixture Under Pressure (Above Atmospheric)
11.Classification Based On Applications:
- Motor cycle engine
- Earth Movers
- Locomotive engine
- Marine engine
- Aero engine
- Prime movers for Electric Generators
This is the complete Classification of IC Engines in detailed.If you have any doubt feel free to ask from the comments section.
- What is the Difference between Extensive and intensive property?
- What is the difference between mechanical,thermal,chemical and thermodynamic equilibrium?
- What is the Macroscopic and Microscopic approach of a thermodynamic system?