11 Points to know from Ultrasonic Machining Method:Ultrasonic Machining Method:It is one of the type of Non-Traditional Machining methods which produces Circular,non Circular holes of very small size is <1mm size can be produced by using this Ultrasonic Machining Method.When very frequency vibrations are applied on to the tool,the tool is vibrating at very high frequency.This tool will induces impact loads on to the abrasive particles which in turn induces impact loads on to the work piece.
if the workpiece is a highly brittle material and because of very smaller size of the abrasive particles,the area on which impact loads acting is very small.Therefore without Breaking the workpiece,the fracturing is taking place in a smaller Area of the workpiece.The chips produced due to the fracturing will be moving along the abrasive slurry.From the above mechanism of chip formation is brittle fracturing.
Detailed Explanation of Ultrasonic Machining Method:
- During machining,the equal and opposite reaction,impact loads produced by the workpiece will be acting on to the tool,so that if the tool is made by using hard material,the brittle fracturing is taking place in the tool also and the tool wear becomes higher.
- To minimise this, the tool must be made by using a material which has very high softness(ductility).
Ex: Copper,Brass,Mild steel etc.
- With increase of grain size or abrasive particle size the material removal rate is increasing first and then decreasing.
- As the percentage of abrasive particles in the slurry is increasing the material removal rate is increasing but the flow characteristics of the slurry is decreasing.
- Therefore the optimum percentage of abrasives in the slurry is 40-60%.
- Wear ratio is mainly depends on the brittleness of workpiece material i.e. the higher the brittleness,it is easy to produce the brittle fracturing.Hence,the wear ratio becomes higher.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Machining Method:
- Highly brittle materials can be easily machine able.
- Circular,non Circular of very small size is <1mm size can be produced by using this USM method.
- Out of all the non traditional machining methods, ultrasonic machining requires lower specific cutting energy.
- No electrical conductivity of the workpiece is required.
- No thermal effects on the work piece are required.
Dis Advantages of Ultrasonic Machining Method:
6.Only brittle materials can be machinable.
7.Deeper hole are not possible to produce i.e. L/D ratio upto 3 only is produced.
8.Because of brittle fracturing, the surface finish produced is poor.
9.Because of impact loads are acting on to the workpiece, the internal residual stresses may be generated in the workpiece.
10.This ultrasonic machining method is mainly used for producing circular,non-circular holes in the highly brittle materials like glass,ceramics etc.
11.Dentist uses of ultrasonic machining for producing the holes in the human teeth.
What Others are Reading:
- Best 18 Govt PSU’s for Mechanical Engineering-Eligibility,Selection Process & Pay scales
- 28+Domains of Mechanical Engineering Projects 2017-2018
If this article is helpful to you.Then Share this article to your friends so that it can reach to many…If you want to add other than these points,then you can mention us from Comments section.