19 Points you must know about Electron Beam Machining Process:Electron beam machining also comes under one of those Non-traditional machining methods where highly dedicated accuracy is maintained.The brief explanation of Electron beam machining process was explained below in a detailed manner.
19 Points about Electron beam machining Process:
The main points which will come across various competitive exams of Electron Beam Machining process are highlighted in bolded text so that you can grab the points easily from the given material presented below.
- When very high voltage power supply is given to the electron gun,it is producing very high velocity electrons in all the directions.
- By using magnetic lens or the deflector,all these high velocity electrons are collected and formed like a beam of electrons having the cross-section area less than 0.05 millimetre square.
- When this high velocity electron beam is impinging onto the workpiece,the kinetic energy of electrons is converted into heat energy.
- Therefore heat is getting generated at the workpiece and by using this heat,the workpiece is getting melting and evaporating i.e. the mechanism is melting and evaporation.
- To avoid the Dispersion of electrons after the magnetic lens,the total setup is kept in a container which is maintained with perfect vacuum.
- There is no tool used and only electron gun is used which is made by using Germanium crystal type of material.
- Medium : Perfect Vaccum
- Wear Ratio : infinity.
- Advantages of Electron beam machining process:
Advantages of Electron beam machining process:
9. Very very small size holes can be produced.
10. Highly reactive metals can be machined easily because of perfect vacuum is maintained.
11. Heat affected zone will be minimum.
Disadvantages of Electron beam machining process:
12. Workpiece material must be electrically conductive.
13. Maintaining the perfect vacuum is difficult.
14. Out of all the non traditional machining methods,electron beam method has lowest material removal rate.
15. Because the total setup is kept in an enclosure,machining zone can’t be seen by machine operator.
Applications of Electron beam machining process :
16. Mainly used for producing holes in the diesel injection nozzles.
17. Also used for producing blind holes,narrow slots etc.in the workpieces.
18.In electron beam machining,if the voltage given to the electron gun is about 60 to 70000 volts, the velocity of electrons produced is reducing, heat generation at the workpiece is reducing.
19.Therefore,heat generated is sufficient to melt and join the workpiece called as electron beam welding operation.
This is the complete explanation about Electron Beam Machining process in a detailed manner.If you have any doubts,feel free to ask from the comments section.
Other Concepts of GATE-NTM:
- 11 Points to know from Ultrasonic Machining Method-1 Mark from GATE(Production)
- 31 Mechanical properties of metals that every Mechanical engineer must know-Interview
- 20 G-Codes and M-Codes(14) of CNC Part Programming-Especially for GATE Exam