Definition of Boiler: The equipment used for producing steam is called Boiler or Steam Generator.It is also defined as “ A closed vessel in which steam is produced from water by the combustion of fuel.”
The steam generated is used for
- Power generation
- Utilization in industries like chemical industries, sugar mills etc.
Considering, the above factors, I had written an article on Boiler-Definition, Classification, Selection, Essentials of a good boiler, Boiler Mountings & Accessories in a detailed way.
Boiler: Definition, Classification, Good Boiler, Boiler Mountings &
As the definition of the boiler was stated above, therefore, I am giving another detail such as
- Classification of boiler
- Diagram of the Boiler
- Selection of Boiler
- Essentials of good boiler
- Boiler mountings
- Boiler Accessories.
Boilers are categorized into 7 types and the list was presented below.
- Horizontal, Vertical or Inclined Boilers
- Externally and Internally Fired
- Forced and Natural Circulation
- High Pressure and Low-Pressure Boilers
- Stationary and Portable
- Fire tube and water tube
- Single and Multi-tube Boilers
The Boiler Diagram is shown below in the form of an image.
The selection of Boilers is based on below conditions.
- Floor area available
- Portable load factor
- Erection Facilities
- The fuel and water availability
- Accessibility for repair and inspection
- Comparative initial cost
- Steam generation rate
- Operating and maintenance cost
• The boiler should produce the maximum weight of steam of required quality at minimum expenses.
• Should have an easy access to various parts of boilers for inspection and repairs.
• Installation of the boiler should be simple.
• Boiler components should be such that they would be transportable from one region to another without any difficulty.
• Steam production rate should be as per requirements
• It should have to occupy in a minimum space.
• Tubes should not accumulate soot and water deposits.
The Boiler Mountings are presented below.
- Water Level Indicator
- Blow off cock
- Feed check valve
- Safety Valves
- Pressure Gauge
- Fusible Plug
The Boiler Accessories are presented below.
- Feed Pumps
- Steam Separator
- Steam Trap
- Air Preheater
This is the complete explanation of Boiler-Definition, Classification etc. in a detailed way. If you have any doubts feel free to ask from the comment section.