Generative Computer Aided Process Planning(G CAPP): A system which automatically synthesizes a process plan for a new component is called Generative Computer Aided Process Planning. It synthesizes the process information to create a process plan for a new part automatically without human intervention. This post mainly focuses on what is the Structure and Advantages of Generative Generative Computer Aided Process Planning(G CAPP) in a detailed manner.
Characteristics of Generative Computer Aided Process Planning(G CAPP):
- No existing standard plans
- Able to generate process plans for both new and existing parts
- Process plans are generated by means of
Geometry-based coding scheme
to perform uniquely the main decisions for converting apart from raw materials to a finished state.
A requirement of Generative Computer Aided Process Planning:
–Part to be produced must be clearly and precisely defined in a computer compatible format (OPITZ,AUTAP)
The logic of manufacturing must be identified and captured
The captured logic must be incorporated in a unified manufacturing database
•Decision making logic and algorithms
Expert Systems: AI-based approaches
Decision Tables in Generative CAPP:
- A decision table program structuring tool provides readable documentation as an automatic by product
- A decision table is portioned into conditions and actions
- Can be used with pre-processor to eliminate some program coding to provide automatic checks for completeness, contradiction, and redundancy.
Techniques for Generative Computer Aided Process Planning(G CAPP)
- Identify the machinable volume and attach necessary technological details relevant for mfg.
- Do a preliminary sorting of pockets in order of levels that clearly indicate the likely sequence in the final process plan
- Examine the pocket for any possibility of combining so that the machining operations could be reduced
- Select the machine tools that can be used for each of the identified pockets
- Identify the process sequence required for the machining of the pocket based on the technological requirements
- For each of the pocket and the operation decided, select the cutting tool required.
- Sort the operations on the basis of the machine tools and cutting tools.
- Sequence the operations on the basis of the machine tools and cutting tools by making use of heuristic rules
- Evaluate the machining time and idle time and select the final process plan based on the lowest cost and machining time
- Present the final results in a suitable form.
Advantages and Limitations of VARIANT CAPP: A process plan for a new part is created by recalling, identifying and retrieving the existing plan for a similar part and making necessary modifications for the new part. In this article, I am going to discuss Advantages and limitations of VARIANT CAPP (VCAPP) in a detailed manner.
Steps involved in VARIANT CAPP are as follows:
- Define the coding system
- Group the parts into part families
- Develop a standard process plan
- Retrieve and modify the standard plan
- Based on the principles of GT
- Also called asVARIANT Computer Aided Process Planning(Variant CAPP)
- GT: Group Technology
The concept of grouping parts together depending upon their similarities in operation sequence or geometry is called Group technology.
- Experts’ knowledge and standard process plans as per GT are needed as database
- Considerable work is required to collect and organize data.
Salient points of VARIANT CAPP:
•Easy to build, learn and use
•Experienced process planners are still required to edit the process plan
•Cannot be used in an entirely automated manufacturing system without additional process planning
Problems Associated with Variant PP:
- The components to be planned are limited to similar components previously planned.
- Experienced process planners are still required to modify the standard plan for the specific component.
- Variant planning cannot be used in an entirely automated manufacturing system, without additional process planning
These are the Advantages and Limitations of VARIANT CAPP.
You can also know about:
- Definition with suitable steps involved in Process Planning(PP).
- What is the Structure and Advantages of Generative Computer Aided Process Planning(GCAPP)?
- What is the structure of Computer Aided Process Planning(CAPP)?
This is the complete explanation of the Advantages and Limitations of VARIANT CAPP (VCAPP) which is shown in a detailed manner. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask from the comments section. Please Share and Like this blog with the whole world so that it can reach to many.