Compression Molding Process-Thermoplastics & Thermoset Plastics: Compression Molding is a molding method in which the molding material(especially Thermoplastics or Thermoset Plastics) are generally preheated and are placed in an mould cavity. The heating or cooling given to the cavity is dependent upon the type of plastic you are using. So, in this article, I will be exploring about Compression Molding process which is one of the molding methods of plastic components. The Compression Molding will be explained for two types of plastics mentioned below.
Compression Molding Diagram:
The below diagram represents Compression Molding Process for both Thermoplastics as well as Thermoset Plastics.
Compression Molding for Thermoset Plastics:
It is used for both thermoplastics as well as thermosetting plastics.
Case 1:(For Thermoset Plastics)
- In this Process, the Thermoset liquid will be kept in the mould of a required shape of the component and is subjected to the heating process.
- During heating, the liquid will undergo the following changes i.e. liquid will undergo in the form of gel and by the application of pressure, it turns to solid.
- After that, the Compression load is applied at the gel condition of the liquid so that shaping of the component takes place.
- Heating converts the liquid into solid whereas, compression load will give the shape to the component.
Compression Molding for Thermoplastics:
Case 2:(For ThermoPlastics)
- The Thermoplastic molten liquid will be kept in the mould of the required shape of the component and subjected to compression followed by a cooling process of the mould.
- Compression gives the shape of the component whereas cooling converts the molten liquid into solid.
- Density and the Strength of the plastic can be controlled by varying the compression load “P”.
- Small and simple shapes of the component can be produced with uniform density.
- Larger and complex shapes of the components are difficult to produce with uniform density.
- Difficult to insert metal pieces in the plastic part duringthe production of the component.
Compression Molding-Applications and Products:
- Outer envelopes of a washing machine
- Automotive Exterior Panels
- Automobile auto parts etc.
This is the detailed explanation of Compression Molding Process and is well explained by the help of Thermoplastics and Thermoset Plastics. If you have any doubt or if you want to add any material to the above concept feel free to ask from the comments section.
- Do you want to know the Top 11 Properties of Plastics or Polymers
- Top 10 properties of a Thermoset plastic material
- Do you want to know the Top 11 Mechanical Properties of Metals?
- Top 10 Properties of a Thermoplastic materials