Laser Beam Machining Operation: If you are GATE student, then this article is for you. In this Article, I had clearly mentioned various important points which are highlighted so that you can grab easily. When the power supply is given to the laser gun it is producing very high-intensity electromagnetic waves in the form of a beam called as a laser beam with a wavelength ranging from 0.1 to 70 micrometer.
When this high-intensity electromagnetic wave beam is incident on the workpiece, the electromagnetic wave energy is converted into heat energy based on surface phenomena radiation heat transfer.
- Due to this, the surface layer of the workpiece is getting melting and evaporating so that the mechanism of material removal is melting and evaporation.
- As the first layer evaporates, then the next layer of material is exposing for electromagnetic waves, melting and evaporating.
- Like this, layer by layer of work material is getting melting and evaporating hence it is looking like a ladder, therefore, mechanism of material removal also called as cladding operation.
Tool material for Laser Beam Machining operation:
- No tool, but laser gun is made by using Ruby Rod as a material.
- Medium: atmospheric air
- Wear Ratio: infinity.
Advantages of Laser Beam Machining operation:
- No vacuum is required.
- No electrical conductivity of workpiece is required.
- Machining zone will be seen by a machine operator.
- Because of the high flexibility of Ruby rod, the zigzag holes can be produced easily with Laser Beam Machining.
Disadvantages of Laser Beam Machining operation:
- Power requirement for Laser Beam Machining is very high.
- Highly reactive metals can’t be machined.
Applications of Laser Beam Machining operation:
- No vacuum is required.
- Mainly used for producing holes in the diesel injection nozzle.
- Also used for producing blind holes, Narrow slots in the workpieces.
If the lower amount of power supply is given to the Ruby rod, the intensity of the electromagnetic waves is reducing. Therefore the heat generated in the workpiece is sufficient to melt and join the blades called as laser beam welding operation.
On the practical conditions, the wavelength of the laser beam is about 0.4 to 0.6 micrometer only.
Read other concepts of NTM:
- 20 Points you must know between Water Jet Machining and Abrasive Water Jet Machining Processes-1 Mark for GATE|Adv&Limitations
- 8 Limitations and Methods You Must know for the Occurrence of Non-Traditional Machining Methods-GATE
- 11 Points to know from Ultrasonic Machining Method-1 Mark from GATE(Production)|Advantages, Dis Advantages & Applications
Sharing is Caring…Please do #SHARE