Lathe Parts-22 Parts of Lathe A Mechanical Engineer Must Know:Lathe Machine is used in all the Engineering applications and also in the college Workshops.Lathe machine is used to perform all the basic operations such as drilling,cutting,tapping,turning etc. with the help of different tools placed in the work environment.Lathe machine consist of various parts such as bed,lead screw,guide ways,prime mover,transmission system,spindle,chuck,head stock ,tail stock,Main drive,carriage,Feed Gear Box,Thread Chasing Dial,Split nut,Carriage,Slide ways with Saddle,Compound Rest,Tool Post,Tailstock with Dead Centre,Quill and some of the accessories are mentioned in this post.So,Read this article till end so that you can understand all the lathe parts in a detailed manner.
Lathe Parts-22 Parts of Lathe A Mechanical Engineer Must Know:
The 22 Lathe Parts are presented below in a detailed manner.
- It should be rigid enough to with stand for the forces acting during machining and self weight of the workpiece.
- It should have high damping qualities i.e. it can absorb the vibrations induces during machining.
- It should act as a house for keeping some of the parts in a machine tool like Prime mover of a machine,gearbox,coolant tank etc.
Grey C.I:It is used for manufacturing of bed of the machine because it has high damping qualities and rigid qualities.
Casting is a manufacturing method because it gives the high damping qualities.
The shape of the bed is selected such that the reduction in the rigidity of machine tool should be minimum and it should provide the maximum amount of the space.
Lathe Parts-2.Lead Screw:
- It is used for converting rotational movement into linear movement.
- The material of the lead screw must be selected such that it should have high wear resistance
- Due to this,the best preferable material for manufacturing of lead screw is the brass.
- Because of sagging problem,the maximum length of the brass lead screw will be 2 meters only.
- The type of threads used on the lead screw is square thread because it gives highest efficiency of power transmission. Ex:Buttress Thread.
- They are guiding the moving parts in a machine tool.They act as a mediator for transmitting forces to the bed of a machine tool.
- The material used for manufacturing of guideways should possess High wear resistance,high damping qualities and low ductility.
Lathe Parts-4.Prime Mover:
- Whatever the energy required for performing the machining operation is obtained from Prime mover.
- The very first Prime mover used in machining is IC engine but because of noise pollution and result of the reciprocating parts after the invention of electrical Motors,the electrical Motors are used as a prime mover in the machine tools.
- Whenever the power supply is given to the induction motor,it always starts rotating at only one particular rpm i.e. designed rpm.
Lathe Parts-5.Transmission System:
- Eventhough prime mover is rotating at only one particular RPM,to get the different RPM of the spindle on job during machining of different sizes of the components at different velocities,it is required to use mechanical transmission system between the prime mover and the spindle.
- The most commonly used mechanical transmission system is the belt drive with stepped pulley because during machining operation any sudden increase Inf forces will cost to split the belt but no failure is taking place.
Lathe Parts-6.Head Stock:
Headstock is acting as a house for keeping some of the parts like transmission system,Prime mover etc. and it also act as a support for supporting the components at one side.
- It is the hollow shaft used for transmitting power from transmission system to the workpiece.
- It also supports the longer length of the workpiece during machining.
It is a work holding device used for holding the workpiece at one end.
Chuck Is classified into two types:
1.3-Jaw self centring:It is used for cylindrical and circular shape jobs
2.4-Jaw independent:It is used for non circular jobs.
Lathe Parts-9.Feed Gear Box:
It is used for transmitting power from spindle to the lead screw at different speeds.
Lathe Parts-10.Thread Chasing Dial:(TCD)
It is used in thread cutting operation for reducing multiples start of the thread with multiple cuts.
Lathe Parts-11.Split nut:
Split nut with the lead screw will be used for converting rotational movement into linear movement.
Carriage is the device used for carrying a moving part in a lathe machine globally.
Lathe Parts-13.Slide ways with Saddle:
It is used for moving the tool locally.
Lathe Parts-14.Compound Rest:
It is used for rotating the tool to perform the taper turning operation.
Lathe Parts-15.Tool Post:
It is the device which is used for holding the tool.
Lathe Parts-16.Tailstock with Dead Centre:
It is used for supporting the workpiece at the other end.
For localised movement of the Dead Centre,Quill will be used.
In general the axis of the Dead Centre will be coinciding with the axis of the spindle or chuck but sometimes to perform the taper turning operation,the dead centre can be absent by moving the tailstock in the transverse direction.
Lathe Parts-18.Face Plate:It is used for holding irregular shape of the work pieces.
Lathe Parts-19.Catch Plate or Dog Plate:
Catch plate is used for positive power transmission from live Centre to the workpiece.
Mandreal is used during machining of thin hollow cylindrical jobs without any bending of the component.
Lathe Parts-21.Steady Rest:
It is a support used for supporting long cylindrical jobs during machining to avoid the bending or deflection of the workpiece.
Lathe Parts-22.Follower Rest:
To avoid the building of the workpiece,due to the cutting forces acting by the tool,exactly opposite to the tool,a support is provided and it is moving along with the tool called as follower rest.
- 14 M Codes that GATE Student must know in CNC programming
- Difference between homogeneous Property,Isotropic Property,Orthotropic Property & An-isotropic Property
- 20 Points you must know between Water Jet Machining and Abrasive Water Jet Machining Processes
- 20 G-Codes and M-Codes(14) of CNC Part Programming-Especially for GATE Exam
These are the 22 Parts of Lathe A Mechanical Engineer Must Know in his Mechanical Engineering Career.