Basic steps of process planning:
- Analysis of part requirements
- Selection of raw work piece
- Determining manufacturing operations and their sequences
- Selection of machine tools
- Selection of tools, work holding devices, and inspection equipment
- Determining machine conditions (cutting speed, feed and depth of cut) and
- Manufacturing times (setup time, lead time, and processing time) etc.
COMPUTER-AIDED PROCESS PLANNING(CAPP) METHOD:
- It can systematically produce accurate and consistent process plans
- It can reduce the cost and lead time of process planning
- Less skilled process planners may be employed
- It increases the productivity of process planners
- Manufacturing cost, manufacturing lead time and work standards can easily be interfaced with the CAPP system.
Process Planning in different environments:
- In tool-room type manufacturing
- “make part as per drawing” is sufficient
- In metal-forming type operations,the process planning requirements are embedded directly into the die.
- Process planning is fairly trivial
- Job-shop type manufacturing requires most detailed process planning
- Design of tools, jigs, fixtures and manufacturing sequence are dictated directly by the process plan.
Requirements for process planner:
- Must be able to analyze and understand part requirements
- Have extensive knowledge of machine tools, cutting tools and their capabilities
- Understand the interactions between the part, manufacturing, quality and cost
Why Computer Aided Process Planning(CAPP)?
- Systematically produce accurate and consistent process plans
- Reduce the cost and lead time of process planning
- Skill requirements of process planners are reduced
- Increased productivity of process planners
- Easily interface with other application programs for further analysis
The detailed explanation of the structure of Computer Aided Process Planning(CAPP) is shown below in the form of video shown below
You can also know more about other CAPP’s:
This is the complete explanation of structure of Computer Aided Process Planning(CAPP) which is shown in a detailed manner. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask from the comments section. Please Share and Like this blog with the whole world so that it can reach to many.