Surface Grinding Machine: It is a machine in which a grinding wheel is used as a cutting tool for removing the material from the surface of the workpiece.
It is also called as abrasive machining process where abrasives are placed on the surface and corners of the grinding wheel so as to do the finishing process with much more accuracy.
Each Abrasive particle acts as a single point cutting tool whereas the grinding wheel, with full of abrasives called as multi point cutting tool.
Grinding Process is one of the widely accepted finishing operations because of its material removal capacity in very small size of chips ranging from 0.25 to 0.5 mm.
Surface Grinding Machine-Types of Grinding Processes:
Surface Grinding Process
Electrolytic in-process dressing Grinding
Electro Chemical Grinding
One of the types of Grinding Processes was as follows.
Surface Grinding Machine Diagram:
Surface Grinding Machine Parts:
A Surface Grinding machine consists of the following parts.
2. Hand Traversing Wheel
3. Cross Slide Handwheel
4. Work Table
6. Wheel Head
7. Vertical Feed Hand Wheel
8. Wheel Guard
9. Abrasive Wheel
Functioning of Parts of Surface Grinding machine:
1.Base: It acts as a support for the entire assembly and also acts as an absorber of vibrations.
2. Hand Traversing Wheel: This traversing wheel is used to adjust the work table in a longitudinal direction i.e. the work table can be moved in forward and backward direction by means of Hand Traversing Wheel.
3.Cross Slide Hand wheel: This hand wheel is used to adjust the work table in up and down direction so that the workpiece is to be placed in exact dimension w.r.t. the Grinding wheel.
4. Work Table: It is the place where the workpiece is to be held properly.
5.Column: It is the vertical column where wheel head, Wheel Guard and Abrasive Wheel are mounted.
6.Wheel Head: It is the compartment which has to be moved up and down so that the grinding wheel can touch the workpiece.
7. Vertical Feed Hand Wheel: This hand wheel is used to provide the feed to the wheel head in a vertical direction which also indicates the depth of cut from the surface of the workpiece.
8. Wheel Guard: It acts as a cover on the grinding wheel to avoid the accidents.
9. Abrasive Wheel: This is the main tool which is used to remove the material from the surface of the workpiece. It is coated with abrasives and thereby the accuracy obtained is very high.
10.Coolant: The Coolant used in Surface Grinding Process is used to cool the work region so that heat cannot be dissipated into the workpiece and grinding wheel.
Surface Grinding Machine Working:
Surface Grinding Machine uses a rotating abrasive wheel to remove the material from the surface of the workpiece so as to create a flat surface with high surface finish.
The grinding wheel revolves on a spindle and the workpiece is mounted on a reciprocating table.
The reciprocating table moves in a forward or backward direction and the workpiece is adjusted w.r.t. the grinding wheel position.
When the power supply is given and suitable speed is provided to the grinding wheel, the grinding wheel rotates on the surface of the workpiece so as to remove the material from the surface of the workpiece till high accuracy is obtained.
The Aluminum oxide, diamond, silicon carbide, and cubic boron nitride (CBN) are four commonly used abrasive materials for the surface of the grinding wheels.
This is the explanation of Surface Grinding Machine with Definition, Types of Grinding Process, Function of Parts, Working were presented in a detailed manner.