Types of Plastics-Thermoplastics & Thermosetting Plastics: In this article, I will be explaining the different Types of Plastics used in our household applications as well as Industrial applications. but before that let we know what is a Plastic?
Plastics: Plastics are also called as Polymers. They are made up of carbon, hydrogen and sometimes oxygen, chlorine, nitrogen, fluorine, sulfur, phosphorous or silicon. Majority of the times, polymers are made up of Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen only.
- It is a low-density polymer and thereby it possesses lightweight.
- It is Anti-Corrosive in nature.
- It has low strength.
- These chains are called polymers and that is why many plastics begin with “poly,” such as polypropylene, polyethylene, and polystyrene.
Types of Plastics:
They are two Types of Plastics.
- Thermoset Plastics or Thermosetting Plastics
By heating the polymer, if it turns as soft, then it is called as Thermoplastic material. At room temperature, they are available in the form as Solids.
Ex:Polyethylene,Poly vinyl Chloride,Teflon etc.
For More Info, Click on the Link: Top 10 Properties of Thermoplastic Materials
2.Thermoset Plastics or Thermosetting Plastics:
By heating the polymer, if it turns as hard, then it is called as Thermoset plastic material. At room temperature, they are available in the form as liquids.
Ex:Epoxy Resin,Phenolic Vinyl Ester resin,Cyanate Ester,Polyester etc.
For More Info, Click on the Link: Top 10 Properties of Thermoset Plastic Materials
These are the different Types of Plastics used in the Industry in order to generate power or to get desired components from various Plastic Processing Methods.
- Top 11 Properties of Ceramics
- 11 Properties of Plastics or Polymers
- Top 11 Mechanical Properties of Metals