The Mixing and Nodulising Drum (MND) is a part of Sinter Plant used for mixing the ingredients with blast furnace fines before feeding the same to the sinter machine.The drum is a cylindrical vessel, inclined slightly to the horizontal, which is rotated about its axis.As the drum rotates, material under goes certain amount of stirring and mixing and the hot gases passes along the drum but usually in the opposite direction.
The Mixing and Nodulizing Drum (MND) is a part of Sinter plant used for mixing the ingredients with blast furnace fines before feeding the same to the sinter machine .An MS plate is cold rolled in this process and the ends of the plate are seam welded. When it comes to the seam welding of metal plates the various conventional arc welding process used are Shielded metal arc welding(SMAW),Submerged arc welding(SAW) and Gas metal arc welding(GMAW).
A detailed analysis of each welding process is enclosed in this project wherein characteristics such as Electrode selection, welding angle, welding speed, flux coating, base and filler materials, welding positions, weld joints, current-voltage requirements, heat treatment etc. are discussed. The advantages, limitations, applications of each welding process are different from each other.
Finally after joining the plates, these are tested for strength of the weld by different testing methods which include both destructive and non-destructive testing. If any welding defects are found during the testing process, these are terminated by back-grinding the defected part.
- This huge MND is of ø 4 m & 15 m long.
- The assembly weighing about 65 Million Tonnes is manufactured and machined in single piece and in single setting for M/s JSW Steel Limited for their 4.0 Million Tonnes expansion project.
- The various shell sections are fabricated separately.
- The Girth Gear is also machined and teeth are cut in shop and sent to site separately.
- The final machining of the entire assembly of shell fitted with tyres and girth gear flange is carried out on gigantic 20 m lathe by providing two machined spiders at both ends.
- The longest drum may have 2 pairs of rollers.
Procedure for Preparation of Drum:
- For the development of drum, the plate is to be passed into a rolling machine.
- Rolling is a metal forming process in which metal stock is passed through a pair of rolls.
Rolling is classified according to the processes
- Hot rolling
- Cold rolling
- If the temperature of the metal is above its re-crystallization temperature, then the process is termed as hot rolling.
- If the temperature of the metal is below its re-crystallization temperature, the process is termed as cold rolling.
After rolling, the plate is joined by means of welding processes. They are
- Longitudinal Seam welding
- Circumferential seam welding
- Longitudinal Seam welding: This process is achieved only when the ends of plates of same section are to be welded.
- Circumferential seam welding: This process is achieved when different sections are joined together by welding processes.
Both Longitudinal Seam welding and circumferential seam welding processes are achieved by welding processes. They are
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Sub-merged Arc Welding (SAW)
- Gas metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
The detailed explanation of the above processes will be done in this project in a detailed way.
You should also know:
- What is the Material Selection for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle(Drone)?
- Effects Of Minimum Quantity Lubrication On Turning Aisi9310 using Vegetable oil Cutting Fluid
- What is the Present and Future Scope of Powder Metallurgy?
This is the complete explanation of welding procedure on mixing and nodulizing drum in a detailed way.Hope this project will be helpful to you.