Step by step procedure for Investment Casting Process:Investment Casting derives its name from the pattern being invested (surrounded) with a refractory material.The fragile wax patterns must withstand forces encountered during the mold making. Much of the wax used in investment casting can be reclaimed and reused.In this article,I am going to publish about the step by step procedure for Investment Casting Process and is as follows.
Explanation of Investment Casting Process:
- The process is generally used for small castings, but has been used to produce complete aircraft door frames,steel castings of up to 300 kg (660 lbs) and aluminium castings of up to 30 kg (66 lbs).
- It is generally more expensive per unit than die casting or sand casting, but has lower equipment costs.
- It can produce complicated shapes that would be difficult or impossible with die casting, yet like that process, it requires little surface finishing and only minor machining.
Past and Present of Investment Casting Process:
- Investment casting is an industrial process based on and also called low wax casting which is one of the oldest known metal-forming techniques.
- From 5,000 years ago, when beeswax formed the pattern to today’s high-technology waxes, refractory materials and specialist alloys, the castings allow the production of components with accuracy, repeatability, versatility and integrity in a variety of metals and high-performance alloys.
Materials used for Investment Casting Process:
- There are a variety of materials that can be used for the investment casting process, including stainless steel alloys, brass, aluminum, and carbon steel.
- The material is poured into a ceramic cavity designed to create an exact duplicate of the desired part.
- Investment casting can reduce the need for secondary machining by providing castings to shape.
You can also know about:
- How to do the material selection with the help of Flowcharts?
- What is Spring Back in Design?
- What is the need of Pre-heating and Post heating in welding process?
The PPT shown below provides the step by step procedure for investment casting process.
This is the complete explanation of step by step procedure for Investment Casting Process which is shown in a detailed manner. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask from the comments section. Please Share and Like this blog with the whole world so that it can reach to many.